Children face too many tough situations today: broken immigration policies, hunger, school shooting, mass incarceration, human trafficking, failing schools, child soldiers in wars worldwide. Despite the harsh realities, there is still hope! And YOU can play a vital role in keeping that hope alive! Let Your Light Shine challenges readers to engage in their own work of justice for and with children. Inspired by the contributions of leaders like Marian Wright Edelman, founder of the Children’s Defense Fund, the authors present ways to engage in works of justice that offer life, meaning, and hope to our children and youth.
About the Editors:
Reginald Blount is Assistant Professor of Formation, Youth, and Culture at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary, Evanston, Illinois. An ordained elder and pastor of Arnett Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church in the Morgan Park neighborhood of Chicago, Blount has been a leader in the formation of Freedom Schools in Evanston and Morgan Park.
Virginia A. Lee is Associate Professor of Christian Education at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary. An ordained United Methodist deacon, she also serves as Director of Deacon Studies for the seminary. Together with Blount, Lee co-founded the Garrett Evanston Freedom School. Both serve on the faculty of the Dale Andrews Freedom Seminary, part of the ChildrenDefense FundProctor Institute for Child Advocacy held each summer at Haley Farm in Clinton, TN.
Part 1. Child Advocacy: Children’s Defense Fund and the Proctor Institute
1. A Family Legacy (Marian Wright Edelman)
2. Building Up a New World: The Children’s Defense Fund and the Samuel DeWitt Proctor Institute for Child Advocacy Ministry (Shannon Daley-Harris)
3. Nine Doctrines for a Theology of Child Advocacy (Eileen W. Lindner)
4. My Journey: Children’s Defense Fund and the Principle and Practice of the Sankofa Way (Lorena M. Parrish)
Part 2. Sabbath Schools, Freedom Schools, and Alternative Theological Education
5. Reconnecting Seminary, Sanctuary, Streets, and Soil: Curating Alternative Spaces for Theological Education (Ched Myers)
6. From Sabbath Schools to Freedom Schools: Christian Vocation and the Power of Voice (Reginald Blount
7. Something Inside So Strong: Learning from the Freedom Schools Movement (Virginia A. Lee)
Part 3. Theology in Praxis
8. When Pupils See: Beyond the Fear of Plopping (Gregory C. Ellison II)
9. Practical Theology as Knowledge of Origin and Migration: An Essay (Patrick B. Reyes)
10. Liberation and Life: Thy Kin-dom Come! Mark 9:14–29 (Janet Wolf)